Blog Ring of Power Presents: Kelly Oram

BRoP Logo Revised-1
Welcome to another Blog Ring of Power Interview. Today we have Kelly Oram here to discuss her Creative Process. Check out the cover of her book Chameleon and Ungifted. They caught my eye. I think they may do the same for you.


Kelly Oram wrote her first novel at age fifteen–a fan fiction about her favorite music group, The Backstreet Boys, for which family and friends still tease her. She's obsessed with reading, talks way too much, and loves to eat frosting by the spoonful. She lives outside of Phoenix, Arizona with her husband and four children.

Don't forget to check out the rest of her interview:

Part 1 - Wednesday, January 8th @ Terri Bruce
Part 2 - Thursday, January 9th @ TW Fendley
Part 3 - Friday, January 10th @  You are here. *hi*
Part 4 - Monday, January 13th @ Sandra Ulbrich Almazon
Part 5 - Tuesday, January 14th @ Vicki Lemp Weavil


Section #3: The Creative Process


BRoP: Where do you get your story ideas?

Kelly:Anywhere and everywhere. Song lyrics, movies/TV shows. Books I read. Random things my kids say. The dark, scary corners of my mind that should never be allowed to function…. 

BRoP: Do you have a specific writing style? 

Kelly: I typically write in first person, and I tend to be sarcastic. I have been called “fluffy” before and I’m okay with that. My favorite thing in the world is a book filled with witty banter and a happy ending. 

BRoP: How do you deal with writer’s block? 

Kelly: Cry. Pull my hair out. Avoid my manuscript with things like twitter. Cry some more… Also, sometimes I try to go back to my outline and figure out why I’m stuck. Usually writers block stems from a plot hole you haven’t discovered you have yet.
BRoP: How do you develop your plots and characters? Do you use any set formula? 

Kelly: It varies. Sometimes I have a great idea that wants to plot itself while others I’ll want to write a specific kind of story and have to come up with a plot. Other times I've just had a great character I wanted to use and had to come up with a good story that suited them. 

BRoP: Are you a “plotter” or a “pantser” (do you plan/outline the story ahead of time or write “by the seat of your pants”)? 

Kelly: I think I’m a combination of both. I outline the basic structure of the story and main plot points, then fill in the rest as I go. 

BRoP: Do you use critique partners or beta readers? Why or why not? 

Kelly: I have a writers critique group that I go to monthly and I adore them to bits and pieces. I also have a couple of people I use as beta readers. These people are all vital to me. Really, they should be vital to any writer, because you can’t always see your manuscript as objectively as someone who didn't write it. Honest constructive feedback will always help strengthen a book. The hard part is finding beta readers/critique partners that you work well with and trust. 

BRoP: Is there anything you find particularly challenging to write? 

Kelly: Description and heavy action. I don’t really have the patience for a lot of description when I read or write, and action is just hard for me. It’s definitely one of my weak points.
Here's where you can find Kelly

Even though her father is running for President of the United States, Grace St. Claire is as normal a girl as they come. She’s clumsy, shy, and an outcast among her peers. She even manages to nearly die in a freak accident in front of the entire school. But when Grace survives a vampire attack she quickly learns that she is anything but ordinary.

There’s something about human Grace that has all the supernaturals around her going crazy. Her best friend’s brother suddenly wants to date her. Her worst enemy has sworn to protect her even against her wishes. Someone with very powerful magic wants her dead, and the vampire that attacked her has developed an obsession with making her his eternal mate.

In order to survive—and not as Count Dracula’s undead bride—Grace dives head first into the terrifying world of the supernatural. She teams up with a charming but mysterious warlock who strolled into town causing trouble and spouting stories of a Prophesy and Chosen One that looks exactly like Grace. Together they must figure out why Grace is different, who wants her dead, how she’s connected to the Chosen One, and who they can really trust.

You can grab Kelly's book at the following links:

16047646
Goodreads: CHAMELEONUNGIFTED Available February 25, 2014   
Amazon: Chameleon  
BarnesandNoble: Chameleon

Book is available in both print and e-bookBrop-Members

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Lucky 7 MEME