Blog Ring of Power Presents: Kelly Hashway

Welcome back to another Monday. Grab a cup of coffee and sit back. Today we have Kelly Hashway. Don't forget to check out the other parts of the Blog Ring of Power Interview: About You : The Writing Life : The Creative Process : About Your Currant workWords of Wisdom

Kelly Hashway grew up reading R.L. Stein’s Fear Street novels and writing stories of her own, so it was no surprise to her family when she majored in English and later obtained a masters degree in English Secondary Education from East Stroudsburg University. After teaching middle school language arts for seven years, Hashway went back to school and focused specifically on writing. She is now the author of three young adult series, one middle grade series, and several picture books. She also writes contemporary romance under the pen name Ashelyn Drake. When she isn’t writing, Hashway works as a freelance editor for small presses as well as for her own list of clients. In her spare time, she enjoys running, traveling, and volunteering with the PTO. Hashway currently resides in Pennsylvania with her husband, daughter, and two pets.

 Author Contact Information




Section #3: The Creative Process


BRoP: Where do you get your story ideas?

KH: I get ideas from all over the place—dreams, conversations, research, mythology, strange-looking objects. You name it, and I’ll find a story there.

BRoP: How do you deal with writer’s block? 

KH: Whenever I get stuck in a WIP, I jump to a different scene. I find writing the climax or the ending helps because it gets me excited and it keeps me writing. Then I can usually go back and pick up where I was previously, but the writer’s block is gone. 

BRoP: Are you a “plotter” or a “pantser” (do you plan/outline the story ahead of time or write “by the seat of your pants”)?

KH: I’m a plotter who likes to evolve into a partial pantser. I always plan my stories from start to finish. I’ll write over twenty pages of planning, but then once I begin drafting, I let my characters take the lead. If they stray from my planning, I’m totally fine with it because it’s their story to tell. That’s where the pantsing part comes in, and I love it. 

BRoP: Do you use critique partners or beta readers? Why or why not? 

KH: I use both. I have my trusted betas who read my work in the early stages and aren’t afraid to tell me where I can do better. Then I polish and polish before sending the manuscript to my CPs. They help me fine-tune my writing, and I love them for it. 

BRoP: How much time do you spend on research? What type of research do you do? 

KH: It really depends on the book. I like to do my research upfront so once I start drafting I can just run with it, but some books require me to go back to research more as I write. I’m a big fan of Google. I’ve Googled the strangest things while researching for my paranormal novels. I’ve had to look up walk-in refrigerators in morgues and even ways to lock a person in a room from the inside. If the authorities ever check my search history, I might have a lot of explaining to do. ;)


Having fallen at the hands of Hades, Jodi's enduring torture like she never imagined. Worse, she has to watch her Ophi friends suffer along with her—the punishment doled out by the very people she'd sentenced to life in Tartarus. Hell. This is one reunion Jodi hoped would never happen, but now she must find a way to free them all.

Except the underworld is nearly impossible to escape.

Jodi's one chance may rest in raising the human soul she killed when she drank Medusa's blood.

But splitting her human soul from her Ophi soul means living a double life: One as an Ophi experiencing unspeakable torture and the other as the human she could have been if she never came into her powers. With her two worlds colliding, Jodi will have to make the toughest decision she's faced yet.

Buy/Book Links


Face of Death is in both print and e-book format


BRoP Logo RevisedThe Blog Ring of Power (BRoP) is a consortium of five speculative fiction writers who have banded together to bring you highlights from the current speculative fiction market--news, reviews, and interviews with speculative fiction authors--with an emphasis on small-press and self-published authors. So grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and relax. Have we got a story for you...

BRoP Footer Revised

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retreating from the Writer's Retreat

The Bar

Lucky 7 MEME